Thursday 5 June 2008

Why Afghanistan ?




When I ask the question why are we in Afghanistan. My thoughts revert to 1982 when it was announced that a British Task Force was on its way to the Falklands to despatch the Argentinians from the Falkland Islands.

I can remember newsreels when members of the Parachute Regiment were questioned as to where the Falkland Islands were. Many thought as did most of the British Public that they were in Scotland. However, to each of the individuals assigned to the task force back then, they did not have the priviledge to question why, and understand the rationale and legality of it all.

I can't speak for all soldiers, but for me, I would love to have participated in the conflict at that time as its what we trained for, irrespective of the consequences. Joining the armed services now leaves little scope not to be assigned to either Afghanistan or Iraq on joining your respective battalion, and not just the one tour either.

Now I am older and wiser I still long for that service comaraderie in an environment that I was trained for. The reality is its not going to happen for me. However, I have two sons, none of whom have an interest in joining up anyway. Having said that, if they had joined up and had been injured or killed whilst serving. I would surely question why we are there and why them.

Having seen those pictures of the three members of the 2 Battalion Parachute Regiment who lost their lives last Sunday in Afghanistan really made me question - What if one of those guys was my son ? Immensley proud of course, but being proud doesn't bring back the son you nurtured as a child. The child that became teenager, feeling his feet and leaving school. The teenager developing into a young man with a full life ahead of him.




I decided to Google how the war started in Afghanistan. Many entries show it was a result of terrorism in particular the Twin Towers being attacked and defeating Osama Bin Ladin and the Taliban. Both the US and the UK stood together initially in deciding to initiate attacks on Afghanistan with various other countries becoming involved also.

Having Googled this item I also noticed that there are various articles stating that the US had already planned operatons against the Taliban prior to 9/11. It makes interesting reading.

Begs the question Why, all the more prominent.

1 comment:

Mystic Silks http:mysticsilks.etsy.com said...

I read your blog, and ask the same questions: Why are we, the USA and the UK in these mid eastern countries? And, what are we winning, the war? No!
The whole attack on Iraq after 911, was a knee jerk response by Bush.

Like kicking your dog, because you've had an argument with your wife.
The money being spent, and the cost of lives has been overwhelming for a war that is not being won.

What a damn shame.